IF YOU WANT TO VISIT THE CHURCH
Go to: via S.Agostino, n.28 - Grottammare
The building of the present Church dates back to 1517, as it is testified from the brick, which carries this date inside the façade, and was consecrated in 1530.
Innocent’s inventory of 1650 states that the monastery housed three monks and a layman, thus it did not reach the minimum number of six members, established by Innocent X, for the keeping of the complex, which, in the year 1653 was suppressed and given to the priest of St. Giovanni Battista’s parish Church. After the Unity of Italy, a second suppression was ordained.
The Church shows that architectonical sobriety which characterizes the most part of local buildings and is made of salvage, particularly visible on the façade, represented by old carved stones and tombstone with fragmentary inscriptions. The apse, set towards the sea, shows a fortified aspect, as it is sometimes found in those ancient local churches which constituted a garrison against enemy raids: it is embattled and outside covered from two buttresses. Next to the apse, there is the cut-off bell: according to tradition this happened because the monastery gave hospitality to Martin Luther during his travel to Rome before the great schism.
The Church has a longitudinal plan and a unique nave. Among the works preserved inside, we can remember a wall painting, nowadays only partially visible, portraying Madonna of Mercy and the altar built in 1741 by Francesco Palmaroli adorned with the altar-piece portraying the Madonna with Saints Luigi Gonzaga e Giovanni Nepomuceno, recently attributed to the painter Filippo Ricci. The most interesting element is the high altar, characterized by un unusual structure that make us think to be the result of an old assemblage, as is testified from 1742: it is a wooden structure that contains up a rectangular painting, representing the Pieta with St. Nicola from Bari and down an oval canvas, with The Souls in Purgatory. Very interesting is also the Via Crucis by Pericle Fazzini.
The monastery opens on the south side of the Church: it has a quadrangular plan and develops around the central cloister with masonry round arches leaning on rectangular based pillars and on the first floor, some loggias, with arch, today plugged. The south aisle of the monastery was modified in 1940, when it was restored and raised.