IF YOU WANT TO VISIT THE CHURCH
go to: Cairoli street (via Cairoli) n.9 - Grottammare
The works started in 1780 and followed in a first moment the original project, which can be seen in the nave, in the apse and in the Dome. The building lasted long: in fact between 1847 and 1850 the Church was enlarged, the nave was completed and was realised the new façade designed by the architect Virginio Vespigniani.
The Bell is more recent: started in 1929 was completed only in 1955, on design of the architect Emilio Ciucci.
The portal has been designed by the sculptor Aldo Sergiacomi, but realised only after his death from the aide Fausta Derna Perozzi. The doors remind the Jubilee Fair, St. Pio V and Sisto V. Some saints are also portrayed, among which the patron saint of Grottammare St. Paterniano and St. Teresa, and St. Umberto, to remember the committee’s parents.
The interior preserves a lot of interesting works; the High Altar piece represents St. Pio V praying in front of the Virgin by the painter from Recanati Falconi, who portrays the saint Pope thanking the Virgin for the victory of the Christian Navy over the Turkish one in Lepanto.
It is also interesting to see the three places wooden seat by Vittorio Fazzini, father of the more famous Pericle, the canvas portraying the Madonna with child and Saints Domenico and Caterinaby Luigi Fontana, il St Filippo Neri by Giuseppe Ludovico Felici, St. Margherita Maria alacoque by Virginio Monti, the Via Crucis of wax by Cleto Capponi and the ambo and the frontal by Ubaldo Ferretti. The Church also preserves an organ realised in 1784 by Gaetano Callido for the St. Maria ai Monti’s Church and moved to the St. Pio V’s Church because of the monastery suppression ordained after the unification of Italy.
The opposite square is adorned with the fountain realised by the architect Murri in 1875 e from the Monument to Sisto V, realised in 1984 by the sculptor Aldo Sergiacomi and placed in this position in order to remember the linking between the two Popes: in fact Sisto V was named Cardinal from Pope Pio V and was his personal confessor.