IF YOU WANT TO VISIT THE CHURCH
Go to: Peretti square - Grottammare
In 1791 the bishop of Ripatransone Bartolomeo Bacher entrusted the architect Pietro Maggi with the restoration of the ancient pre-existing Church which was smaller than now. The project was made between 1795 and 1796 and brought the complete demolition of the original Church. The works started only in 1802: this date is carved on a walled-in brick in the western side.
The interior presents a unique barrel vault nave, painted between 1911 and 1913 by the painter Giuseppe Pauri from San Benedetto del Tronto, according to a painting unitary design which modified the original internal perception. The artist realised an eclectic decoration, recovering the liberty decoration features, the representational repertoire by Adolfo De Carolis and reminding the fifteenth-century paintings.
The iconographical program of the Church develops on ceiling canvas with St. Giovanni in the Desert, St Giovanni Battista’s Glorification and Christ’s lament. On the vault next to the high altar, are represented St. Patrizio e St. Paterniano, patron saints of Grottammare. By the windows, there were four canvases portraying the Evangelists, today removed.
In the choir, over the inner door, there is an organ which has been attributed to Carlo Carletti, who removed in 1884 an older instrument, keeping the wind-chest that presents features going back the first half of XVIII century.
From 2002, after a Restoration, the Church was reopened and housed the Sistine Museum of Grottammare, a part of the holy art museum system promoted by the district of Ascoli Piceno. The Museum preserves paintings, furniture, church furnishings as well as paper works coming, above all, from the Churches of Grottammare. Among the works, it is worth while remembering the Sacred Conversation by Vincenzo Pagani, St. Rocco and St. Sebastian by Vittore Crivelli and the Madonna del Carmelo, attributed to Ubaldo Ricci. The Church also preserves two Sisto’s gifts: a bronze medal reminding the building of St. Lucia’s Church and a goblet belonged to Felice Peretti at the time he was bishop of St. Agata dei Goti, in Rome.