The first prove we have of this holy Procession, occurring originally each year, goes back to 1738.
Since 1757 it has been organised by the Congregation of the Passion and Death of Christ (Confraternita della Passione e Morte di Gesù Cristo) just as we keep on seeing it today.
The commemoration traditionally involves hundreds of citizens, which play roles that are often handed down from parents to children.
The holy Procession goes through the streets of the village enlightened only by torches, accompanied by drum-beat and clarion, going across the ancient town and down the coast.
Three choruses formed respectively by children, girls and women all dressed in black and singing religious hymns accompany the whole itinerary.
Peretti square – Palmaroli street - St. Agostino street – Garibaldi square - Leopardi street - XX Settembre street – Ballestra avenue - G. Marconi street - F.lli Cairoli street - Sisto V avenue - Crucioli avenue - Laureati street - F.lli Rosselli avenue - Garibaldi square - Via Sant'Agostino street
Translated by Raissa Baroni